If you have multiple skin problems, it is quite the dilemma figuring out what to deal with first. Well, thanks to genetics, age and hormonal fluctuations, my face was a recent recipient of such a situation: greasy skin, acne, gaping pores, multiplying brown pigmentation, and the start of fine lines on my forehead. What was a girl to do? I went to one of my usual skin clinics, and my aesthetician recommended my usual glycolic peel to clear acne and clogged pores, followed by a diamond peel on my face and neck to even out skin tone for both areas and remove pore-clogging dead skin on the surface. She noticed I needed something extra this time as acne kept recurring in the same spots around my chin and mouth area so she suggested TCA peel (trichloroacetic acid) applied thinly over my face. This yields faster results than home-use exfoliants and glycolic acid lotions that are still classified as mild. This is the only treatment I know that shows noticeable and, yes, dramatic results in terms of actually making freckles and pigmentation disappear in a month. Post-acne dark spots are totally wiped out.
What to expect and limitations:
1. Most damaged areas of your face will definitely peel the day after, or after two to three days of treatment. Peeling will be very fine, so there is no danger of shedding like a snake in public as this is only a medium-strength skin rejuvenation treatment, but it will last about seven to 12 days. I noticed the most amount of flaking on my frequent break out areas like my nose, hairline, chin and jawline. Everything was smooth as silk by day 10.
2. Not all spots will disappear, but the big ones will break apart, making them smaller and visibly lighter and easier to cover up with concealer.
3. Definitely more than one treatment is needed for those with very dark marks and severe acne breakouts.
4. Cystic acne will not disappear and will need a cortisone injection to deflate and disappear. The TCA will fade the dark acne mark completely, though.
5. It does nothing to remove warts on face and neck, so I still had to come back for cautery.
6. Oil production of your skin will drop by approximately 60 percent and skin is more even-toned, pores become tiny, skin is tighter in appearance with a slight sheen like polished porcelain.
7. Skin breakouts will be less frequent and definitely more manageable.
Rules: Stay away from the sun as much as possible. If you must go under it, slather your face with SPF 50 and above every two hours.
Use the at-home treatment they give you for maintenance and to help the process along. This will actually help you save money as you will need fewer sessions when done faithfully. Don’t just step into a clinic requesting for what I got exactly. Have the doctor check your skin or state your concerns like fine lines, freckles, etc. Your facial cleansing treatment needs may differ from mine and you may not need the diamond peel and head straight for TCA or vice versa.
There are actually some clinics who just tell you to bring your credit card instead of naming a price: Stay away from those. Before stating a definite appointment upon calling, ask how much the treatments you want will cost you from facial, diamond peel to TCA. If they refuse to give a price or ballpark figure, try another clinic. For inquiries call 0917-8082926, 8993643, 8098021.
Suggested foundation for treatment and coverage: Lancôme’s Maqui Blanc Miracle for normal to oily skin, and Clinique Even Better compact makeup for normal to dry skin blurs dark marks and imperfections while brightening actual skin tone with their DFA-approved potent whitening ingredients.