Quantcast

Kate’s pregnancy a bumpy ride



Kate the Duchess of Cambridge. AP

LONDON—The Duchess of Cambridge’s pregnancy has seen her endure illness, media frenzies, bikini shot scandals and a prank that ultimately ended in tragedy.

Though she is giving birth in a plush private hospital wing with top royal gynaecologists on hand and her every whim catered for, Catherine’s pregnancy got off to a troubling start.

The news that Prince William’s wife was expecting a baby was released on December 3, after she was taken to hospital suffering from acute morning sickness.

Three days earlier, Kate had shown no sign of discomfort as she played hockey on a visit to one of her former schools.

But joy at the news of a baby, tinged with concern for the duchess’s condition, soon turned to anger and then tragedy.

During her three-night stay at King Edward VII’s Hospital in London, a hoax phonecall made by two Australian radio presenters—pretending to be Queen Elizabeth II and William’s father Prince Charles—resulted in details of Kate’s condition being divulged.

The stunt, by Michael Christian and Mel Greig, triggered a global media storm of its own and sparked a backlash against the presenters and the radio network.

Jacintha Saldanha, the Indian nurse who answered and put through the call, was found hanged on December 7, having taken her own life.

William and Kate were left “deeply saddened” by her death, a spokesman said.

England’s state prosecutors decided not to charge the radio hosts, saying that “however misguided, the telephone call was intended as a harmless prank”.

Looking well, Kate returned to public duties on December 16 at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards.

But in February, pictures of the royal couple holidaying on the Caribbean island of Mustique were printed in Italian and Australian publications, showing Kate in a bikini, her baby bump clearly visible.

Infuriated, St James’s Palace called it a “clear breach of the couple’s right to privacy”. It came after topless pictures of the duchess had been published the previous September, incensing the royals.

Britain’s media got themselves into a frenzy in early March, believing Kate had accidentally given away the sex of their baby while meeting members of the public on a visit to a fishing town.

National newspapers ran front-page headlines reading “It’s a girl!”

However, recordings of the exchange revealed nothing of the sort.

“Is this for us? Oh, thank you so much, it’s very, very sweet of you,” she said as she was handed a teddy bear.

“Did you nearly say my daughter?” a 67-year-old woman a few metres away asked shortly afterwards.

“No, no, no,” the duchess replied. “We don’t know”.

But the molecule of confusion was enough to get the papers all in a lather.

The duchess carried out her final solo public engagement on June 13, launching a new liner in the southern English port of Southampton, sending a 15-litre bottle of champagne smashing into its hull.

Two days later in London, she made her last public appearance before giving birth, attending the Trooping the Colour military pageant — Queen Elizabeth II’s official 87th birthday celebrations.

On June 19, palace sources gave the first confirmed details about the birth, saying Kate hoped for a natural delivery and that they will not know the baby’s sex until it arrives.

It was revealed that she would be giving birth in the private Lindo wing of St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, central London—where William himself was born to Prince Charles and princess Diana.

Media organisations immediately began a vigil outside, their territory marked out on the pavement.

Kate spent the month since then off duty, splitting her time between her parents’ countryside home and Kensington Palace in London.

She was admitted to St Mary’s on Monday, with William joining her for the short drive from the palace.

While the monarchy is on Twitter, the birth will be announced to the world in the traditional method—a notice on an easel in the Buckingham Palace forecourt.


Follow Us



Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Marketplace