MANILA, Philippines – Naruto Cosplayers PH (NCPH) gathered more than six boxes of school supplies containing pencils, ballpens, notebooks, writing pads, crayons and erasers during the two-day Fantasm event on May 24-25 at Starland Themepark, Starmall Alabang. These donations came from cosplayers, con-goers, and regular spectators. The donations will be part of the “Balik Eskwela Project” of the organization and will be donated to a selected public school. Arnold Lareza, father of Chibi Cosplayers Bolen Lareza is the project coordinator for this year.
#Fantasm can be safely concluded as successful despite some glitches, a warm venue and extended programming. The promised Live Action Role Play Event had proven to be more difficult than expected as the team met lots of problems along the way. But despite these, a feel of Britannia was still achieved through the event opening, Cosplay Checkers and the ending scene of the Fantasm Cosplay Lives Competition on the second day where Suzaku and Zero had their dramatic face off.
Starland Themepark recorded one of the highest numbers of people in the place in its history during the two day event with an estimated number of around 4,000 people during those days. The Cosplay Parade on the second day was also one of the longest cosplay parades composed of more than 150 cosplayers in total.
Fantasm tried to introduce innovations and new ingredients into the usual convention and though there are things to be improved, overall it was a success. Some of these innovations include the following:
- Enhanced VIP System – An individual-centered VIP system where the individual gets privileges for his/her enjoyment, and for the first time in the history of an anime-themed event, a free bus ride was included courtesy of RRCG Transit and Spin Manila Bus TV.
- Activity Card – This is the start of bringing the activity not only to cosplayers and competition participants but also to regular attendees of events.
- Live Action Role Play Event (LARP) – 25% success is still something, and Fantasm started a trend to bring into life what the attendees like though more preparation and back-up plans should be set in order to fully achieved a realistic LARP event.
- The 1st Bolen Lareza Chibi Cosplay Competition was a success in staging one of the most participated and first ever all-chibi cosplay competition where almost everyone gets something after participating. The panel of judges includes prominent chibi cosplayers: Bolen herself, Ashley Misaki, Izaiah Luke Buelos and Belldandy Chii.
- Hero Dub It Out provided the audience a glimpse of the Filipino voice actors of their favorite anime. They also had the chance to join an impromptu dubbing competition.
- Fantasm Cosplay Lives Competition achieved its aim to present a cosplay competition where realism is the overall key factor in determining the winners. Each judge focused on one criteria and they have to deliberate the winners. Ryan Simbul (Engagement), Jay Agonoy (Realism), Sheila Millette Navarro (Costume), and Rb Cheng (Difficulty) had a hard time deciding but in the end, winners were announced.
Otaku Choice Awards 2014:
- Otaku Choice: Anime – Shingeki no kyojin (Attack on Titans)
- Otaku Choice: Anime Character Female – Mikasa Ackerman of Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titans)
- Otaku Choice: Anime Character Male – Eren Jaeger of Shingeki no kyojin (Attack on Titans)
- Otaku Choice: Sentai or Metal Hero – Uchuu Keiji Shaider (Space Sheriff Shaider)
- Otaku Choice: Online Game – Dragon Nest SEA
- Otaku Choice: Console Game – Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
- Otaku Choice: Japanese Band – 宇宙戦隊NOIZ(UchusentaiNOIZ)
- Otaku Choice: Japanese Band Cover/Group – Ikuzo Iwa
- Otaku Choice: Free T.V Otaku Channel – GMA Astig Authority TV
- Otaku Choice: Otaku Blog – AnimePH
- Otaku Choice: Female Cosplayer – Ianah Otaku Official
- Otaku Choice: Male Cosplayer – Chie Topacio
- Otaku Choice: Otaku Organization – Otaku Zutto ( Certified Otaku )
- Otaku Choice: Events – Misaki Con 2013
- Otaku Choice: Event Sponsor – LEAN & MEAN MACHINES
Cosplay Idol Season 2 Finals:
- Izaiah Luke Buelos, Grand Champion
- Cykah Malagad, 1st Runner-up
- Ian Quinto, 2nd Runner-up.
Cosplay Lives Competition:
- Engagement Award – Head Mistress (Ian quinto)
- Costume Award – Robocop (Dave Velazquez)
- Difficulty Award – Predator (John Erick Frando)
- Realism Award – Raiden from Metal Gear (Jeasan Declaro)
- Special Award (Dragon Nest) – (Bolen lareza)
- Fantasm Awards – Robocop (Dave Velazquez)
1st Bolen Lareza Chibi Cosplay Competition
- Champion (Mecha Category): Alizey Rodil as War Machine
- Runner Up (Mecha Category): Icee Ticar as Gundam Unicorn Banshee
- Champion (Cloth Category):Louise Rielle as Elsa
- Runner Up (Cloth Category): John Veinard Quintana as Horohoro
- Belldandy Grimarez: Kurt Andrew Morido as Kid Icarus Uprising
- Bolen Lareza: Meredy Carlos as Mikasa Ackerman
- Ashley Misaki: Sophia Calilung as Chun Li
- Ashley Misaki: Xiay Evelyn Cruz as Sorcerer (Dragonnest)
- Izaiah Luke: Natalia Chanelle as Sasha Braus
- Don Robert Torio’s Pick: Ulquiorra Dizon as Lucifer (Angel Sanctuary)
- NCPH Pick: Akira Joanne as Gundam God Burning
- Asia Music Festival: Bandslam – Binhi
- Asia Music Festival: Karaoke Competition – Diana Caro
- Selfie with a Cosplayer: [Day 2] – PhamelaJane(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) ♫ @PhamQuake via twitter
- Cosplay Photo Marathon: [Day 1] – Carla Naval, [Day 2] – Emman Espinosa
Pinoy Otaku Festival 2015
The future of Pinoy Otaku Festival really depends on the community whether they want to have an event such as this once again. “We are at the service of those who attend and patronize our events, so it really depends on whether they would tell us to hold POF once again,” says David D’Angelo, Vice President and PR-Events of Naruto Cosplayers PH (NCPH).
If you want to suggest a title for Pinoy Otaku Festival 2015, want to sponsor the event, be an exhibitor or suggest a venue just contact NCPH at [email protected] or Mr. David D’Angelo at 0909-624-1531.
A success shared
Lie Pagtalunan, 5th Hokage (President) of NCPH admittedly said, “The success of Fantasm will never be possible if not for everyone working together. Naruto Cosplayers PH and Red Cloud Interactive were not the only key players in this event but all of those who have joined, supported and believed in it.”
For updates, feedbacks and more information about Pinoy Otaku Festival 2014: FANTASM, visit the following sites:
About Naruto Cosplayers PH
Naruto Cosplayers PH (NCPH) is one of the largest cosplay and Japanese culture based organizations in the Philippines with background in events organizing and cosplay for a cause/charity works. The organization was featured several times in mainstream media and new media for its various activities. The organization is founded on October 10, 2010 which is the birthday of the anime character Uzumaki Naruto.