Make your own excellent envelope bag
Turn the mundane to mod with just a dash of imagination.
Take a quick tour of the home section of the nearest mall, or rummage through your storage for a welcome or bathroom mat you might not have even known you had.
In a matter of minutes, this humble household item can become a most welcome addition to your fashion accessory collection.
Thick, fabric-based welcome or bathroom mat in pretty prints and colors (avoid the spiky, plastic type)
Button (or buckle or snaps)
Scissors or cutter
- Fold your mat into three parts, with one flap slightly shorter than the other two. Unfold the shortest flap
2. Pin the two equal-sized flaps together. Sew together tightly using backstitch then remove the pins. This will make up the body of the clutch. 3. Determine where to put the button: It should be halfway through the length of the body and slightly above the edge of the folded-over flap.
- Sew the button onto the body securely.
5. Keeping the position consistent, mark the position and length of the button on the flap using pins.
6. Cut a straight slit between the markers to create a buttonhole. Remove the pins.
7. Try pushing the button through the hole to make sure the hole is not too tight. Make the necessary adjustment.
Now you have a cheap but chic envelope clutch to complete your cutest look.
The roomy clutch can hold your wallet, smartphone, tablet, organizer, pens and more. And, if you used the soft, cushiony-type mat, not only will your gadgets be secure, your clutch may also double as a comfy pillow for when you need a power nap between appointments.
For a smaller variation, use a placemat instead.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.