8 things in 2018 I’m looking forward to
Transparent plastic bras are on sale and Thai men want penis whitening. The MRT has bogged down a couple of times already and the President does not intend to stop cursing. Old and new join forces to rein in 2018—and I’m not sure they will bring any good. We can’t stop hoping, though. Here’s eight (para swerte daw) things I’m looking forward to:
- “Deadpool 2” and “Ant-man and The Wasp” excite me, but I behold the movie adaptation of Kevin Kwan’s “Crazy Rich Asians.” It stars Constance Wu of “Fresh Off The Boat” fame (and fingers-crossed pa rin for Kris Aquino—and Bimby, maybe?). Still, more Asians, please!
- The “pinilakang tabing” will test some pretty faces. Liza Soberano will be “Darna.” Lovi Poe will apparently join the “Kung Paano Ako Naging Leading Lady” film adaptation. Atom Araullo’s movie debut “Citizen Jake” will premiere this quarter. Paulo Avelino will top-bill “Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral.” Overall, it’s a diverse 2018 lineup. Will stars be more than pretty?
- Broke as I am, I won’t watch “The Lion King” but, “Hakuna matata!” Filipino theater offers interesting titles. To name a few, The Sandbox Collective offers “Himala, The Musical”; Tanghalang Pilipino adapts Nick Joaquin’s “Nang Dalawin ng Pag-Ibig si Juan Tamad.” As usual, there’s Virgin Labfest for “virgin” scripts. I hope for better appreciated community theater.
- The Antidiscrimination Bill moved forward in Congress. It started a push for pride in communities. But, we need to catch up in human immunodeficiency virus and sexual health, violence and, let me say it, unions. I’m glad Vice Ganda is explaining SOGIE on “Miss Q & A.” May he and Boy Abunda and, oh, Pia Wurtzbach (despite the gay child issue) keep talking.
- Speaking of Pia, methinks many Pinay queens lacked a little something this year, thus failing to get “podium finishes.” I hope Binibining Pilipinas, Miss World Philippines, Miss Philippines Earth and those other local pageants pool women of pizazz, pasarela and pak ganern. Will the major pageants also stop hosting pageants in their comfort zones? We will never win Miss World in China.
- So many breakdowns, from the transport system to Win Gatchalian. May commuters not be mandirigma forever; may all the tantrums and non sequiturs end—or may Ethel Booba’s smackdowns slay. Charot. These are times for fearless activism. The world aches for help.
- The web is crazy over 7-Eleven’s “master food eater” opening. I send well wishes to those hunting for jobs and music events and piso fares, not necessarily in that order. Oh, since love is our thing (and with friends having a hard time in this aspect), may the Meghan Markles of the world find a Prince Harry—and may he not cheat. Hugot.
- Last year, we found out millennials spend more on coffee than the future. We aren’t getting any younger so let’s invest in that oft forgotten aspect of our lives. Try the 52-week challenge. I just started. Cross my heart. Peks man. Pramis.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.