Quantcast
Latest Stories

British press torn on naked Prince Harry snaps



Prince Harry. AP photo

LONDON—Britain’s press thrashed out Saturday whether The Sun newspaper had done the right thing by eventually publishing pictures of a naked Prince Harry cavorting with similarly-clad women in Las Vegas.

Rupert Murdoch’s flagship British tabloid broke ranks with other UK papers Friday in printing the two images, saying it was striking a blow for press freedom.

Britain’s top-selling newspaper said it was ludicrous that they should not be seen on UK news stands when millions had already seen them online and in foreign publications, including just across the border in the Irish Republic.

No other British newspapers have run the pictures of the 27-year-old army helicopter pilot, who is third in line to the throne.

Some nonetheless defended The Sun’s right to do so, while others insisted there was no justification for printing them.

Industry figures say the wider British media did not run them due to fears that the phone-hacking scandal at Murdoch’s now-defunct News of the World will spark tougher regulation of the press.

The scandal, which saw Murdoch close the 168-year-old tabloid in July last year, sparked an inquiry led by judge Brian Leveson, who is due to make recommendations on the future of press regulation by the end of the year.

The Guardian said the only reasonable publication test was not entertainment or sales but an agreed concept of the public interest.

“The argument that the material is already in the public domain is a strong one — but also dangerous. Taken to its logical extremes, it means Britain abandons any kind of ethical, regulatory or legal framework,” it said.

“The stage is thus set for a balancing of two human rights — freedom of expression versus privacy. On the facts of this particular case it is a fine balance.

“Rupert Murdoch’s tabloids have, by their actions, undermined any public trust in allowing editors the complete freedom to do as they deem fit. The Sun surely understands that.”

Newspapers will have to work with Leveson to create a regulator “which can reach fair and swift decisions in cases where there is a tension between freedom of expression and privacy”.

The Times, a Murdoch-owned paper, said newspapers should be allowed to judge what is fit to print.

It said Britons were “almost equally divided between those outraged by what they see as a gross invasion of privacy… and those who accept that the boisterous antics of Prince Hal… are as risible as they are inconsequential.

“What value can be be placed on privacy if its enforcement is now impossible?

“Self-censorship prompted by fear of what the courts may or may not do can be as insidious as actual censorship,” it added.

Whatever Leveson recommends, “why should newspapers, uniquely, be expected to abide by a code of privacy that neither hundreds of websites nor the press overseas nor indeed many of their readers trawling through alternative sources of information now respect?

“We chose not to publish these pictures ourselves. But The Times does support the right of others to choose differently.”

The Daily Mail also said: “we resolutely defend the right of all newspapers to publish responsibly what they believe is in their readers’ interests.”

The Independent’s editor Chris Blackhurst wrote that there was “no justification in showing the pictures”.

“The fact that the snaps were already out, on the Internet, is not a reason for putting them in a newspaper: plenty of material is on the web but papers choose to ignore it.

“As for freedom, I did not feel in any way that it was threatened.”

After Friday’s splash, The Sun ran only a page nine story entitled “MPs back The Sun over Harry Pic”.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Las Vegas , Lifestyle , media , Nude Photos , nude pictures , Photo Scandal , Press Freedom , Prince Harry , Privacy , Regulation , Royals , The Sun , United Kingdom

  • Magbilat Sa Araw

    Much ado about nothing. A prince who does not have a real job. A prince whose very existence is subsidized by the wealth amassed from India, Africa and China’s opium trade. So many lives lost, so many sufferings endured, only to keep the symbolic British monarchy alive.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/H5TNE46C6YUPZ4HK6V7IDT27Z4 SS

    Olympic’s over.  Could we get a rest from these mascots now?

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/FGLCSWEISCSAYRSODQ7MEOWLNI yahoo-FGLCSWEISCSAYRSODQ7MEOWLNI

    End British Monarchy.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. How to enjoy Buntod
  2. World bids Gabriel Garcia Marquez ‘Adios’
  3. How Zsa Zsa Padilla found Conrad Onglao; Sharon Cuneta played Cupid
  4. ‘Wild West’ Masbate’s pristine marine gems
  5. Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  6. How Margie Moran-Floirendo keeps her dancer’s body
  7. Life lessons I want to teach my son
  8. Garcia Marquez left unpublished manuscript
  9. Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  10. Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  1. How Zsa Zsa Padilla found Conrad Onglao; Sharon Cuneta played Cupid
  2. Are your favorite malls open this Holy Week break?
  3. ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  4. Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  5. Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  6. This is not just a farm
  7. How Margie Moran-Floirendo keeps her dancer’s body
  8. Why is the lifestyle set now afraid to wear jewelry–before Kim Henares?
  9. 12 other things you can do at Pico de Loro Cove
  10. President Quezon was born here–and so was Philippine surfing
  1. How Zsa Zsa Padilla found Conrad Onglao; Sharon Cuneta played Cupid
  2. Mary Jean Lastimosa is new Miss Universe Philippines
  3. Did Angara ruin Pia Wurtzbach’s chances at Bb. Pilipinas?
  4. Dominique–Gretchen and Tonyboy Cojuangco’s daughter–now an endorser
  5. Vinegar test helpful vs cervical cancer
  6. From Jeannie to mom of suicide victim
  7. San Vicente beaches hidden but not for long
  8. Borgy and Georgina are back; others are off–again
  9. Why is the lifestyle set now afraid to wear jewelry–before Kim Henares?
  10. Sen. Angara: I thought Pia Wurtzbach gave a good answer

News

  • Napoles tags over 100 officials in pork scam – Lacson
  • Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  • Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  • 43 out of 414 Etihad passengers yet to be found, tested for MERS-CoV – Palace
  • Maid confesses in killing of 2 and stabbing of employer in Laguna
  • Sports

  • UP nips St. Benilde; Adamson blasts RTU in Filoil women’s caging
  • Kevin Garnett responds to Raptors’ GM F word
  • Albert Pujols hits 500th HR of major league career
  • UST posts twin kill in Filoil pre-season cup opening day
  • Wizards beat Bulls in OT to take 2-0 series lead
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Bollywood Oscars, film stars come to Florida
  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Business

  • SM to rebuild Tacloban hospital
  • PSEi slips after 4-day rally
  • Toyota sells 2.58 million vehicles, outselling GM
  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • China won’t budge, wants PH gov’t to apologize to HK
    Marketplace