Grooming gadgets and choice scents for your man this ValentineBy Ria Prieto
Philippine Daily Inquirer
When it comes to Valentine’s Day, I think most men have it down to a science: flowers, chocolates and a scent, and they’re set. And if the men don’t get these for their women, at least their secretaries do!
Last Valentine’s Day, my husband was looking for flowers that were supposed to have been delivered to the house for me, and when they didn’t come, he called his secretary to ask if she got to order the blooms. At first I was upset, but then I realized it was the thought that really counted.
He is not the type to go to a flower shop and pick flowers for me, anyway. He “delegates,” as he likes to put it.
For women, on the other hand, it is a bit more complicated. For the past few years, my Valentine gift to my husband has always been the same and something he appreciates. I make him a “kikay kit” for the year. Last year, it was a golf locker room. This year I think a men’s grooming kit would be great.
Here are some grooming gadgets you may want to give your man.
1. Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush, available in leading department stores
2. Remington Compact Chrome Hair Dryer, available at PCX and leading department stores
3. Turbo-Groomer 5.0, available online at Amazon.com or eBay
4. Hair clippers, available at Anson’s and other appliance stores
5. Electric shaver, available at Anson’s and other appliance stores
If you feel your man needs to use a different scent from the one he’s been attached to all this time, I know a brand that most of my male loved ones have tried. Penhaligon is a luxurious fragrance line based in England, with a heritage that dates back to the Victorian era.
The line has a collection of 34 fragrances, each designed to elicit a particular emotional response in a person. Its spray fragrances last up to three years.
My top three picks would be:
1. Quercus, which reminds me of gin and tonic. The light effervescence is mixed with cool spicy cardamom and tons of citrus. Clean musks, ozone notes, citrus and shampoo-like florals float over warm, squeaky clean amber. This is a pretty safe scent, and I can’t imagine any man who would not like to smell as if he just stepped out of a luxurious bath.
2. Blenheim Bouquet is on the citrus side. Top notes are lavender, amalfi lemon and lime; base notes are musk, pine and black pepper. I like this scent because it makes the wearer smell fresh—the type of scent you would smell over and over again.
3. LP No. 9 (Love Potion number 9) I find to be a sexy scent for men. The nose behind this fragrance is Christian Provenzano. Top notes are lavender, bergamot, amalfi lemon, tarragon and geranium; middle notes are carnation, jasmine and rose; base notes are musk, patchouli, Virginia cedar, amber, cinnamon and vanilla.
Penhaligon is available at Adora, Greenbelt 5.