3 kg lamb shoulder
2 kg prawns (butterflied and de-veined)
¼ c garlic
½ c olive oil
1 tsp rosemary
Fresh basil, about a palm full
Salt and pepper
1. Squeeze juice out of fresh pineapples onto lamb. This is key to guaranteed soft meat. Massage lamb with crushed garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large pan or paellera. On medium high heat, sear lamb three to four minutes on each side. Let rest on a large serving platter. Set aside.
3. On the same pan, pour in wine. Cook prawns in liquid for three to four minutes on each side, or until they all turn orange all over. Let rest beside lamb.
4. On a small saucepan, melt butter. Squeeze in lemon juice and drop a palmful of basil leaves. Transfer to a dipping bowl, side by side with mint jelly.
5. Right before serving, garnish by placing on center of the dish a bunch of fresh-cut herbs. Place dipping bowls of mint jelly and butter-basil sauce on top of the herbs.
Clams and Mussels in Salsa Verde Sauce
1 kg mussels, soaked in clean water for 15 minutes
1 kg clams, soaked in clean water for 15 minutes
2 c parsley, chopped
¼ c garlic, chopped
½ c olive oil
½ c white wine or beer
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Do ahead of time: Soak shells for 15 minutes in clean tap water to let them spit out impurities. Remove beards (hairy tip on the center of the shells) using scissors.
2. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook mussels and clams for 10 minutes. Drain. Any shell that remains shut after boiling must be thrown away.
3. In a blender, combine parsley, garlic, onions, olive oil, white wine, salt and pepper. Blend to the consistency of your choice—smooth and fine or creamy and chunky.
4. In a heated large pan, pour blended salsa verde. Toss in mussels and clams. Lightly sauté for another minute to allow flavors to marry. Remove from heat.
5. Serve on a large platter with torn pieces of bread on the side. Garnish with curly leaf parsley.
As seen on “Sabrina’s Kitchen,” Wednesdays, 2 p.m. on Lifestyle Network (channel 52 on Sky Cable).
Recipes above were made during the first episode, “Best of the Beach.”