Liven up your home with these very easy to make pumpkin- and bat-theme holders. They’re great for holding paper napkins at the dinner or buffet table. They may also hold the pens on your kid’s desk.
As a fun and creative do-it-yourself (DIY) project, you may do it with your kids. You hit two birds with one stone: you not only bond with your kids, you get to teach them the value of environmental conservation as well.
For this project, teach your kids how to transform their used and rinsed Tetra Pak cartons into colorful holders that are easy to create and design.
What you’ll need:
Tetra Pak carton
A pair of scissors
Glue gun/double-sided tape
Fancy wrapping paper
1. On the bond paper, ask your child to draw his or her favorite animal. You may print out stencils or actual shapes from your computer. Color in the drawing and cut it into shape. Set aside for decorating.
2. Help your child cut open the top part of the carton.
3. Cut off half of the carton’s left, right and front sides. Leave the back part of the carton as it is.
4. Cover the carton with fancy wrapping paper of your choice. This will be the background of your animal.
5. Help your child design the pencil holder with the animal that s/he has drawn. For this project, we taped the head of the giraffe on the back board, while the body was taped on the front board for a multidimensional effect. You can also create a 3D effect by using foam tapes.
6. Use it to display and store your child’s pencils and coloring materials and set it up on his or her study desk to make study time more exciting for your little one.
DIY projects need not be complicated. Start involving your kids in simple projects and who knows, you could just spark up the little DIY aficionados in them. Bond with your kids by helping them develop their creativity by upcycling materials and encourage them to make useful items from upcycled materials.