With Christmas parties having started this past week alone, I had General’s spicy garlic lechon three times.
Of course I try not to eat too much of this festive staple. But when faced with a caliber of roast pig as General’s, failure would be a given. I’d probably get a tiny balat then have about two ribs where one would experience all the flavors of the ingredients put in.
In one of the parties, we had a boodle dinner. In the middle of a table lay banana leaves, a line of steamed hot rice surrounded with pako salad with a bagoong dressing, fresh halabos na hipon, crab claws with buko and gata, freshly grilled maliputo prepared by no less than Glenda Baretto and a whole General’s Chili Garlic lechon. Wow! (Pacing in the coming days is the name of the game.)
In my last week’s list of Christmas goodies, I naturally missed out on some of the good ones. Let me add to that list.
1) Kris Ompaoco’s Chicken Empanada—The best I have tried. She also makes a delicious ham-and-cheese bread. The bread is very moist and soft, it is such a winner. I hear her lasagna is also to die for. Tel. nos. 920-7282, 0927-2341990.
2) Ben’s Lechon na Baka—This version disappeared for a while, but I was so happy to find him again. His son Dondon Mejia now runs it with the exact same recipe. Tel. 0917-5224386.
3. Plaza Ham and Corned Beef—Wow! I love Karla and Millie Reyes’ ham. With their wasabi mayo, it is such a winner. The corned beef is to die for. Both boiled and roasted. Tel. 8908446, 0917-5874267.
4. Margie de la Rama—She also makes a mean Cochinillo and a Roast Turkey. I was surprised to experience the roast in a dinner party. Tel. 0917-8971017.
5. Custaroons by Custaroonery of Gigi Gaerlan (Original and Cheese-Creamy) —Mildly sweet and delicious. I tried them at Rockwell. Yummy. Tel. 6313507, 0917-8793535.
6. Vodka Tinapa and Tinapa con Malunggay Made by Jaq’s Kitchen-Bottled—With melba toast, it will be a great gift idea as well as a fantastic pika-pika for parties! Tel. 2167429, 0917-5296918.
7. Belgian Brownie Bites (Salted Caramel Chocolate Torte, Tres Leche and Flourless Truffle Torte) by chef Mara de la Rama—My gosh! All I can say is: Use your imagination. Tel. 4052580.
8. Calamansi Cello Cupcakes and Fruitcake by chef Carmela Agosta—Great. Call 0916-6448522.
9. Biscocho—When I heard about this version, I honestly didn’t think much of it. But my, what a surprise. Shop is at SM Megamall, on the 5th floor of the Mega Atrium, in front of the chapel and Bo’s Coffee. Tel. 0920-9222878, 0917-8537819.
10. Assorted Cougniaman by Cicou- Cougniam—It is a French pastry much like a cinnamon roll. When well-made, it is such a winner. Tel. 6619200, 0917-8858841.
11. Italian Porketta by porketta man Ram Jorge—Delicious, crunchy, full-of-flavor pork belly with green sauce. Highly recommended. Tel. 0917-8102218.
12. Nana Meng’s Thick TsokolatWith Christmas parties having started this past week alone, I had General’s spicy garlic lechon three times.e—I love the one with peanut flavor. Tel. 0905-2855681.
Visit sandydaza.blogspot.com; follow on Twitter @sandydaza.