RED paper hearts are plastered on the windows of many establishments. Cutouts of Cupid and doves are hanging from the ceilings of malls. There are satellite booths in toy stores to make it convenient for the buying public.
Ah, yes. Valentine’s Day is in the air, but there is one problem: You don’t have anyone to spend the day with.
For many others, this is Single Awareness Day or SAD. But it is not a day to be lonely!
Here are some tips to make your Valentine’s Day a bit more festive.
1) Buy yourself something nice. Whether it’s a pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing, or by maybe going to a spa, you deserve to pamper yourself. After all, it’s good to love yourself.
2) Ask your best friend out on a date. It does not have to be romantic; it can be platonic and still be exciting. Everybody has a best boy (space) friend or a girl (space) friend they can depend on, so why not have fun together?
3) Spend the day with your ‘barkada.’ You can eat somewhere, watch a movie or just hang out in somebody’s house. John Lloyd Cruz movies are very much the rage this season; why not watch one so you and your friends can laugh (and cry) together?
4) Try new things. Do you have something on your bucket list you want to cross out? This is the day to try it. It might be a little unconventional, but in relation to loving yourself, you have to experience new things and enjoy life. Make the jump and go for it!
5) Make another couple happy. You might not have a date, but your parents might. Treat them to dinner (or cook the meal itself). Get them to watch a movie. Remind them why they love each other so much. Most important, tell them you love them. Love transcends the romantic kind.
No one should be lonely on this day of love. Love can be expressed and felt in many ways. Go and spread love today.