Chef Nicolas Cantrel’s Roast Lamb Rack and Loin with Artichokes
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 07:23 PM November 05, 2011
Portion: 2 persons
1 pc artichoke, cleaned, cut in quarters or in 6 depending on the size
10 pcs spinach leaves
½ pc baby romaine lettuce, cut into small wedges
6 pcs baby potatoes, pre-cooked
1. Clean the rack of lamb completely by removing all fat and tissue in-between the bones. Remove the bones from half the rack and only keep two bones on the remaining half to achieve double sizes lamb chop. Separate the loin part from the rack.
2. Sauté the spinach leaves in little olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
3. Fry the pre-cooked potatoes in clarified butter until golden brown and crisp.
4. Season the baby romaine wedges and sear in hot olive oil very quickly.
5. Season the artichokes and roast in olive oil slowly until tender and lightly colored.
6. In a heavy skillet, sear the loin and rack of lamb separately, and roast in the oven at 180°C for approximately 8-10 minutes or until medium rare. Set aside the meat to rest.
1. Slice the loin part diagonally and separate the rack into individual lamb chops.
2. Pour a generous amount of sauce on the bottom of a heated plate.
3. Add the baby romaine on top of it, alternatively with the loin and the rack chop.
4. Add the artichokes and place the crisp potatoes around the dish.
5. Sprinkle with a turn of freshly ground pepper and little fleur de sel.
For the Lamb Jus
1. Roast the bones and remaining meat of the lamb well. Then add 2 pcs shallots chopped roughly and 1 clove of garlic along with 2 sprigs of thyme.
2. Add 40g of butter into the lamb bones and fry on slow fire for approximately 20 minutes. Drain off all fat, bring the pan back to heat and deglaze with little of the chicken stock. Reduce to almost dry and then cover with chicken stock and simmer for 1 hour. Strain and adjust seasoning.