Looking to buy a new pair of sneakers but can’t seem to find one you really like? Why not create the sneakers of your dreams? All you need is a little imagination to personalize a pair.
Your design can be as simple or as intricate as you want it to be. How about using your pet as inspiration?
Last year, I adopted a pregnant stray cat, which I named Floozie. Since then, my life has never been the same. As a crazy cat lady, I’m always on the lookout for anything cat-related, and that includes a good pair of cat-inspired shoes. Then I saw my old pair of black sneakers.
A pair of plain canvas sneakers
Black and white textile/fabric paints
Detailing paint brush
Artist palette or any alternative
1. First, thoroughly wash your sneakers and make sure they are completely dry before painting. (Skip this step if you are painting on a new pair of shoes.)
2. Use a pencil to lightly sketch a peeping cat head design on the sneakers.
3. Start painting the design using a small brush and white textile paint. Allow each layer of paint to completely dry before painting an additional layer for full opacity.
4. Add black dots for the eyes. Use a dotting tool to make it easier. If you don’t have one, load a good amount of paint on the tip of your brush and gently dab on desired location.
5. Add a tiny black dot for the nose.
6. Finally, paint a short white line to complete the cat eyes.
Do not water down the paint. It will make the consistency runny, making it difficult to create fine edges while painting.
Textile paints are hard to remove so make sure to wear an apron while working. You may also want to lay down an old newspaper on the table you are working on.
Wash your DIY sneakers when needed but avoid directly brushing the design.