Turn the mundane to mod with just a dash of imagination.
Take a quick tour of the home section of the nearest mall, or rummage through your storage for a welcome or bathroom mat you might not have even known you had.
In a matter of minutes, this humble household item can become a most welcome addition to your fashion accessory collection.
Thick, fabric-based welcome or bathroom mat in pretty prints and colors (avoid the spiky, plastic type)
Button (or buckle or snaps)
Scissors or cutter
Fold your mat into three parts, with one flap slightly shorter than the other two. Unfold the shortest flap
2. Pin the two equal-sized flaps together. Sew together tightly using backstitch then remove the pins. This will make up the body of the clutch. 3. Determine where to put the button: It should be halfway through the length of the body and slightly above the edge of the folded-over flap.
Sew the button onto the body securely.
5. Keeping the position consistent, mark the position and length of the button on the flap using pins.
6. Cut a straight slit between the markers to create a buttonhole. Remove the pins.
7. Try pushing the button through the hole to make sure the hole is not too tight. Make the necessary adjustment.
8. Sew the edges of the slit using buttonhole or blanket stitch to keep the fabric from unravelling.
Now you have a cheap but chic envelope clutch to complete your cutest look.
The roomy clutch can hold your wallet, smartphone, tablet, organizer, pens and more. And, if you used the soft, cushiony-type mat, not only will your gadgets be secure, your clutch may also double as a comfy pillow for when you need a power nap between appointments.