Watch out for these rising K-stars
By this time, you might have already heard about Lee Min-ho, Song Hye-kyo, Rain and Song Joong-ki. These actors and actresses were the ones who starred in dramas acquired by our local television stations like “Boys Over Flowers,” “Full House” and “Descendants of the Sun.” But these are not the only stars you have to follow because there are a lot more actors and actresses in Korea that you definitely shouldn’t miss.
Here is a quick list of rising Korean stars and what dramas they are in so you can now start checking them out. (You’re welcome!) While waiting for their upcoming shows, you can binge-watch their previous acting stints because they’re all available in the Viu app for free: http://inq.news/viu.
- Lee Jong-suk: Starting as model back in 2005, Jong-suk caught the attention of Filipino fans when he starred in the drama “W—Two Worlds.” In the drama, he played a character from a web-toon who fell in love with his creator’s daughter. After being frequently featured in magazine covers, Lee Jong-suk is now getting a lot of international fans because of his acting skills and charms.
You can also watch him in these dramas: “Doctor Stranger” and “Pinocchio.”
- Park Shin-hye: Anyone who remembers the melodrama “Stairway to Heaven” probably recalls Park Shin-hye as the one who played the younger version of the female lead. She gained more attention in the drama “He’s Beautiful,” especially in Japan. In the Philippines, she is known as Lee Min-ho’s partner in “The Heirs.” Their chemistry on screen is very evident that some fans are even wishing for them to end up dating in real-life. You can also catch her in these dramas: “Doctors,” “Pinocchio” and “Wanted.”
- Park Bo-gum: Hailed as 2016 Gallup Korea’s Actor of the Year, Park Bo-gum is known for portraying interesting roles in his dramas. He played a psychopathic lawyer in “Hello Monster” and a quiet, genius-level Go player in “Reply 1988.”
Bo-gum’s unique charm caught the hearts of many Korean and international fans. Just recently, he won the Male Top Excellence Award, Netizen Award and Couple Award with Kim Yoo-jung in the 30th KBS Drama Awards for his role as a rebel crown prince in “Love in the Moonlight.
- Bae Suzy: Now, meet the actress who broke the hearts of many Lee Min-ho fans.
Bae Suzy started in girl group Miss A as the main vocalist and the group’s “visual member.” In 2015, it was confirmed that she was dating popular actor Lee Min-ho. Yet Suzy refuses to be remembered only as Lee Min-ho’s girlfriend. She won Best Collaboration in the Mnet Asian Music Awards with Baekhyun and Best Star Award in 1st Asia Artist Awards for the drama “Uncontrollably Fond” last year.
- Nam Joo-hyuk: Joo-hyuk started his acting career when he played a supporting role on “The Idle Mermaid” in 2014. The following year, he became one of the cast members of “Who Are You: School 2015.” He was in dramas “Cheese in the Trap” and “Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo.” In “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo,” he played the male lead that gave him the Best New Actor award in 36th MBC Drama Awards. (You should watch out for his cute scenes with another rising actress, Lee Sung-kyung!0
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.