A good watch, a go-to bag–9 staples to keep as you declutter
As the year comes to a close and we welcome Christmas gifts, there is no better time than now to declutter and assess what you really need.
I recommend keeping these nine staples:
- A black blazer. But not any will do. A good blazer should have a classic look and should fit just right: not too tight and not too loose.
- A white T-shirt. I get mine from James Perse.
- Jeans are a standard pick. A good pair will see you through many wears and occasions. Choose a pair that gives your butt a good lift. Make sure it falls straight and has a slim fit.
- Pencil skirt. An alternative to jeans is a classic pencil skirt. Choose one in black or a neutral color. My go-to one is in camel. For the best fit, get your pencil skirt custom made. Length is also key since women vary in height. Same goes for where the slit should go.
- A go-to bag. I would advise a small one in crocodile leather so you can use it day to night, plus it ages well.
- Reliable shoes. There are two pairs I would advise you to keep: a pair of flats from Chanel or Hermès Oran sandals. These are investment pieces. A pair of Valentino Rockstuds would also do if you want something with a bit of flair. Get one in a neutral color so it will go with a lot of outfits.
I also highly suggest you invest in a pair of nude pumps. I like my suede Manolo Blahnik BB pumps. They are the comfiest you’ll ever wear. And in suede, they look so chic. I just spray them with a protector from time to time since I believe they look good if they carry some wear marks.
- Shades. Pick a a pair in a shape that suits your face.
- A good watch. Wouldn’t it be great if your mom or an aunt hands you a heritage piece, something from Patek Philippe, for example? We often check our phones for the time, but a good watch completes an outfit and makes you look instantly professional.
- A pair of diamond studs. A one-carat pair would do you well. It’s not too big to overpower a look but can still be worn at night for fancier occasions. This is an investment piece; you don’t need more than one pair. Plus it’s something you can hand down to your children.
These nine items are reliable no matter how many trends go by.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.