Chavit Singson ‘yet to accept’ Miss Universe Philippine franchise
MANILA, Philippines — Former Ilocos Sur governor Luis “Chavit” Singson said he was offered the Miss Universe Philippine franchise but he “did not accept it yet.”
“Miss Universe offered it to me before the event in Thailand last year but did not accept it yet because it might be an additional work load for my company,” Singson told INQUIRER.net Monday morning.
This came amid reports he had acquired the local franchise of the annual international beauty pageant.
Singson was quoted in an earlier news report that he already had the franchise with him.
The former governor noted that he had been involved with Miss Universe since the pageant was held in the country in 2016.
“Ever since the Miss Universe was held here in 2016 I’ve always been involved in helping them,” he said.
“I heard about the issue of Madam Stella Araneta. No problem with me. I can always extend my help to her,” he added, referring to Binibining Pilipinas Charities Inc. (BPCI) Chair Stella Araneta.
Last January 3, Araneta said that the Philippine franchise of the Miss Universe was still with the BPCI following speculations regarding the ownership of the global pageant’s local franchise. /cbb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.