It’s that time of the year again when we wrack our brains trying to figure out what to give to someone special, more so for someone who has everything money can buy. A gift should be unexpected, be able to surprise, deliver a smile or make the receiver hum in satisfaction.
Here are my 2019 Christmas food gift suggestions:
1) Sunshine Puey’s Chocolate Cookies and many other delicious pastries.
Tel. 0917-8832532, 84039051
2) Joy San Gabriel cheese rolls, to me, the best. She also makes an ensaymada with a delicious ube filling.
3) Red Roasters party trays: Tenderloin Salpicao, Lengua con Champignon and Gambas.
4) Wawa Bing’s Bacolod Fresh Lumpia. Mildly sweet and garlicky, it’s healthy as well as authentic tasting and delicious.
Tel. 75060303, 0966-4388513
5) Casa Daza Empanadas. Kakahiya but you decide whether it deserves mention here. Original or chicken. To me, the original has a slight edge.
Tel. 87202290, 0917-1490021
6) Best baked chicken empanadas by Kris Ompaoco.
Tel. 0927-2341990, 8920 7282
7) Lorenzo’s Food for the Gods. It’s a 50-year-old family recipe that is so addictive. I featured this almost a decade ago.
8) Chef Judy’s Chiffonelle Cake. It’s a light caramel cake with a tinge of lemon. Simple but delicious! This is the up-and-coming cake in Manila. Bring this and, for sure, it’ll be a crowd favorite.
9) Korean Beef Stew by Chef Yrish de la Rosa. Tender, tasty and delicious.
10) Brazo Cupcakes. A different take on cupcakes.
11) Margie de la Rama’s delicious cochinillo. Also, try her roast turkey.
12) Outstanding Upside Down Cake, Amaretto Cake and Prune Cake by badminton and golf sensation Tani Bautista. Simple but delicious cakes.
13) Best Macadamia and Pistachio Sans Rival in town by pastry chef Jill Sandique.
14) Estrel’s Caramel Cake. This cake needs no introduction. Also a must-try is the lengua de gato with toasted almond slivers. Manginginig ka sa sarap.
15) Uno Baking Company’s Tartados, custard tarts. It also has one with ube filling.
Tel. 0917-5528001; @Unobakingco on Facebook, Instagram
16) Imang Salud giant ensaymadas from Pampanga. Made by Melissa, at Legazpi Sunday market.
17) Bottled Gourmet Tinapa by Turo’s Heathy Tinapa in extra-virgin olive oil with herbs and spices. Best on toast, over pasta or simply with sinangag and egg.
18) Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake and Alfajores made by Sugarbee. The alfajores are very good and different.
Tel. 8520557, 0905-3784774
19) Delicious callos by chef Victor Sanchez.
20) Pastry chef Mara de la Rama’s Gateau Crepe—a winner—Chocolate Panna Cotta and flourless truffle cake.
Tel. 0917-8116272, 0917-8036272
21) Queso de Bola Cheesecake. Best one around.
22) La Tasca Bibingka. This, to me, is the best Pinoy kakanin ever. Serve this to foreigners and they’ll kiss you.
23) Festive Roast Turkey with all the fixins by chefs Bob and Ninay. Ask for extra gravy.
24) Baby Pat Ensaymadas by Chef Pearl. Huge, unique in all its various flavors, and delicious. A favorite gift.
Tel. 0917-7901127; Facebook: mybabypat
25) Italian porchetta by Ram Jorge. A different take on the boneless lechon, Italian-style.
26) Tinee de Guzman cochinillo.
27) General’s Lechon—best lechon in Manila. Among the four variants—regular, garlic, chili garlic and curry—my favorite is the chili garlic. Order early. There’s delivery.
Tel. 88lechon/88532466; 0917 8lechon/0917-8532466
28) Czar’s Apple Pies. Winner of Great American cookfest. Perfect with queso de bola.
29) Crème Brûlée Cake by Camille Ocampo. Want a topic of conversation in a party? Try bringing this.
30) Delicious sans rival by Guy Vasquez.
31) Stevie’s Hainanese Chicken Rice and Vietnamese fresh spring rolls. Comes beautifully packaged complete with all the sauces. Super sarap.
32) Plaza Ham and Corned Beef. Try it with their sauces. I love the light green one. Made by chefs Millie and Karla. So yummy!
33) Hector’s Chicharon Bituka. Masarap! Something good and different to bring to a potluck.
34) Oliver’s tender and delicious lengua.
35) Delicious puto pao. Iba ito!
36) Felicia’s Ensaymada from Bacolod. They can have it sent to your doorstep all the way from Bacolod. Masarap gid!
Tel. 0918-5514638, 0909-0360980, (043) 4336586
37) Casa Medillano’s authentic-tasting Spanish paella. Tel. 0916-5568842
38) Kitchen’s Best’s Cake Plaisir, Turtle Pie and Mango Sans Rival.
39) Ginny de Guzman’s truffle chocolate cake, Parmesan shortbread cookies and champorado cookies—very good! From Tilde Bakery.
Tel. 7712764, 0995-1038781
If you know of other food items worth mentioning, send me a message!