Boosting one’s immune system is a topmost priority, now more than ever. Here are recipes to increase immunity and some tips from Dr. Jaime Galvez Tan to help you become safe from COVID-19.
This calls for the most nutrition-packed, dark-green, leafy vegetables of the Philippines. These greens are rich sources of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants and probiotics to increase immunity and protection from COVID-19.
The salad also has garlic, turmeric, ginger, onions and tomatoes that have the best antiviral and antimicrobial properties. The three coconut-based products (vinegar, sugar and oil) contain lauric acid, scientifically proven to have antiviral properties .
5 stalks each of the following: kamote (sweet potato) tops, kolitis/uray (amaranth), malunggay leaves, saluyot leaves, dahon ng sili1/4 kg tomatoes
Mix to combine. Season to taste.Arrange the greens in a bowl. Toss tomatoes, onions, ginger, turmeric and garlic in dressing. Top over greens. Drizzle remaining dressing. Garnish with thinly sliced singkamas, blanched green beans and kamote chips if you wish.
Here’s a cleaning solution to rid salad greens of oil- and alcohol-based pollutants plus physical dirt, in ways water can’t:
Mix 2 liters of water plus 1 tbsp each of natural vinegar (preferably coconut vinegar), virgin coconut oil, baking soda and sea salt in a basin.
Add vegetables and let sit for 3-5 minutes only. Oversoaking will remove many of the water soluble vitamins and minerals of the vegetables. Rinse vegetables under clean running water. Spin greens dry.
The dish contains prolongevity ingredients (sesame seeds, tofu, pili nuts, brown rice ), hormone-regulating elements (capsicum leaves, kamote leaves, cinnamon) and protection from virus infections (coconut oil, onions, turmeric, black pepper, garlic).
5 c steamed brown rice
1/2 c onions. chopped
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1 c pili nuts, chopped
1/4 c fresh turmeric, finely chopped
2 c fresh tofu, cubed
2 pcs medium-sized red and green bell peppers, cut into rings1/2 c chili leaves, finely chopped
1/2 c kamote tops, finely chopped
1/2 c sesame seeds, roasted
Dash of cinnamon
Sea salt to taste
Pan-fry tofu in coconut oil. Set aside. In the same pan, sauté garlic, onions and turmeric. Add the steamed brown rice. Incorporate the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add the leafy greens last. Season to taste. Serve immediately.
Pineapple has bromelain that dissolves the cellular adhesion molecules of viruses.
5 c each of kangkong leaves, kamote leaves, malunggay leaves, chili leaves
10 c fresh pineapple
Juice in a slow juicer.
Other COVID-19-busting tips
● Wash hand with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds per wash, 10-15 hand washings a day.
● Alcohol-based gels are better than plain liquid alcohol 70-percent ethyl alcohol preparations. Alcogels stay longer on the hands to kill viruses. Liquid alcohol evaporates immediately.
● Wear a mask in a crowd. Change mask daily.
● Drink 12-15 glasses of water/liquids per day, ideally one glass every hour from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
● Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, spices, preferably with every meal.
● Take 500 mg to 1 gram of vitamin C thrice a day.
● Eat coconut (coconut water, buko meat, coconut milk) or take 1 tbsp of VCO at least once a day and at best thrice a day. Coconuts contain lauric acid or laurin, which has been scientifically proven to have antiviral properties.
● Sleep 7-8 hours in total darkness. Melatonin that increases our immunity is produced during total darkness.
● Get a flu vaccine, especially if you’re a senior citizen.
● If you have a cough, fever or cold, self-quarantine until you get well.
● Stop smoking or avoid people who smoke.
● Alcoholic beverages lower immunity.
● Be at peace. Stay calm. Do not panic. Listen only to expert advice on COVID-19. INQDr. Jimmy Galvez Tan practices Integrative Medicine, and is a holistic doctor who integrates medical practices from North America, Europe and Asia. He is an advocate of Philippine medicinal fruits, vegetables and spices, and has formulated various concoctions of herbal medicine. He was health secretary and founded Futures Foundation Inc., which creates communities of wellness in rural and marginalized areas where primary health care is not accessible. Download a free wellness book by Doc Jimmy at docjimmygalveztan.com. For more health tips, visit his YouTube channel youtube.com/thenaturalshelf. For consultation; tel. 0921-2057524.