IN THE HUMID summer heat, frizzy and unruly hair can be your worst enemy. Here are some easy to wear hairstyles that will tame your tresses and keep you looking effortlessly fresh.
If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em. Girls with wavy to curly hair might as well take advantage of the weather by allowing it to enhance their hair’s natural texture. To achieve the whole tousled “fresh-from-the-beach” feel, here are some steps:
1. Apply volumizing mousse to towel-dried hair and blow it out with a wide paddle brush.
2. Wrap 3-inch section of hair around a curling iron. Make sure to avoid the roots.
3. Set your locks with some texturizing spray.
4. Accessorize with hippie hair bands.
DIY ‘beach hair’ spray:
1. Fill a spray bottle with 8 ounces of water.
2. Add two tablespoons of sea salt and shake mixture.
3. Mix in one teaspoon of hair gel and shake mixture again.
4. Spray onto wet or very damp hair and leave on. Don’t brush your locks; instead, use fingers to comb through hair.
5. To let the curls form, scrunch up hair with hands and let it air-dry. (Source: http://www.bellasugar.com/)
Keep your hair away from your face with a high, bouncy ponytail.
1. Blow dry your hair upside down and flip your hair back before it’s completely dry.
2. Finish drying your hair by using a large round brush and rolling chunks of hair to create big loose waves.
3. Brush back and gather hair high into a ponytail. Tie back with a hair elastic or a pretty scarf.
Side braids, hairline braids, braids swept into a bun—
they’ve been a runway favorite of late. Braids are the best way to sweep your hair away from your face while still looking so chic!
1. Part your hair horizontally, then section off the front portion you will be using.
2. Divide the section into three, cross the right hand part over the middle section. Cross the left hand section over the middle section. Pull to tighten the braid.
3. Continue until the end of the strand and tie it with an elastic.
4. Pin the braid back behind your head and attach a hairpin to keep it secure.
5. Let your hair hang loose or sweep it up into a loose bun.
6. Weave in a scarf to your braid to add a bit of color.
The slightly undone, loose bun is an effortless look that allows you to go straight to a sunset cocktail from a day at the park.
1. Add a little mousse to hair to battle the humidity.
2. Part hair in the middle and gather into a low ponytail.
3. Twist the ponytail into a bun and secure with a hair tie.
4. Let a few strands fall to give the whole look a more relaxed feel.
5. Wear a fabric headband or oversized earrings to accessorize.
Here are some handmade hair accessories from Bend&Snap to spruce up your summer hairstyle.
1. Fabric hair wraps
2. Chain headbands
3. Lace hair wraps
4. Beaded floral wrap around hair band
To purchase: Bend&Snap—