You know that basketball is life in these parts when one NBA store, the biggest in Asia, is not enough.
Last Oct. 16, a second branch of the NBA Store in the country opened at Mega Fashion Hall, SM Megamall, with no less than former Chicago Bulls star Ron Harper gracing the event.
“It’s a tribute to the people of the Philippines that NBA is here,” said the 49-year-old guard who played in three consecutive championships with the Bulls and two more with the Los Angeles Lakers. “Our game is a global game. We love coming in and seeing our fans.”
The store carries authentic merchandise of all 30 teams of the NBA, including jerseys, shirts, gear and novelty items like action figures, plush toys and signed memorabilia.
“The vision is to help expand the NBA retail footprint across the Philippines,” said Carlo Singson, associate vice president and country manager for the Philippines-NBA Asia. “This is only the second store we’re opening, and there are definitely plans to double that in the next few months.”
Singson recalled spending four hours on his first visit to an NBA Store in New York City, marveling at the wide selection of merchandise.
The Megamall branch, though smaller than the Glorietta outlet, nonetheless offers a thrilling experience for diehard NBA fans.
Inquirer Super listed 12 must-haves:
1) NBA jerseys with your name at the back for P2,795
2) Chicago Bulls zip-up floral jacket in navy. It’s floral, yes, but not too girly. Price may be a bit steep at P4,299 but it’s comfy.
3) Jumbo high-bounce ball. Even Harper couldn’t take his hands off them. They come in Spurs, Lakers and original orange color at P399.
4) NBA 2k16 for PS3 and PS4, sold at P2,245 and P2,695, respectively.
5) Take your pick: John Wall, James Harden, Klay Thompson, Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk Nowitzki, Larry Bird, Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant, Anthony Davis, Carmelo Anthony—and the list goes on for Bleacher Creatures at P999 each.
6) Premium socks for ballers, P299.
7) It’s hard to resist the soft and cuddly Beanie Ballz in NBA mascots, P499.
8) There are also some kicks in the store—from KD 62 (P5,495) to Nike Jeremy Lin (P7,995) and D Rose 4 (P6,295).
9) For collectors, there’s a wide range of trading cards, among them The Panini 2013-2014 at P250 and Elite at P380.
10) Basketball, P1,675
11) More jerseys! There’s the Mitchell & Ness hardwood classic jerseys of Tim Duncan, Scottie Pippen, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at P12,495. For young ballers, regular jerseys are available at P1,495.
12) Signed memorabilia, the dream souvenir of all basketball fanatics. It’s pricey but not as expensive as the other memorabilia sold at the Glorietta branch. Available signed action figures at the store are Lebron James at P12,000; Kobe Bryant, P15,000; Allen Iverson, P15,000; Michael Jordan in All Stars, P19,000; Dennis Rodman, P16,000; and Scottie Pippen and a mini Larry O’Brien trophy at P18,000.
The NBA Store is at 3/F, Mega Fashion Hall, SM Megamall, Ortigas