WATCH: 13 scariest haunted houses in the US
At Netherworld in Atlanta, Georgia, flesh-eating clowns of varying degrees of repulsiveness have been dispatched to troll the premises.
They, along with gruesome, hellish creatures dreamed up by the darkest of nightmares have helped the haunted house top a new list of the scariest destinations to get your spook on in the United states this year.
According to Hauntworld.com, spending on Halloween in the U.S. this year will top $10 billion, with $1 billion of that attributed to ticket purchases at themed haunted sites.
New this year at Netherworld, a popular destination for Halloween thrill-seekers, nature seeks “savage vengeance”against mankind for the evils unleashed on the planet in the attraction Primal Scream, while ancient fiends disguised as clowns chase visitors in the basement in search of human flesh.
In second place, The 13th Gate in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, features real snakes in a Louisiana swamp and claustrophobic cellars, while The Dent Schoolhouse in Cincinnati, takes up residence in a 19th century schoolhouse, and follows the legend of its murderous janitor.
According to Hauntworld.com, here are the top 13 scariest haunted houses in the U.S.:
1. Netherworld – Atlanta, Georgia
2. The 13th Gate – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3. The Dent Schoolhouse – Cincinnati, Ohio
4. Erebus – Pontiac, Michigan
5. Headless Horseman’s Hayrides and Haunted Houses – Ulster Park, New York
6. Haunted Overload – Lee, New Hampshire
7. Nashville Nightmare – Nashville, Tennessee
8. Bennett’s Curse – Baltimore, Maryland
9. The Darkness – St. Louis, Missouri
10. Field of Screams – Mountville, Pennsylvania
11. Factory of Terror – Canton, Ohio
12. Nightmare on 13th – Salt Lake City, Utah
13. USS Nightmare – Newport, Kentucky
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.