Woman nearly goes blind due to Christmas card glitter
INQUIRER.net / 05:06 PM January 04, 2018
A woman in the UK almost went blind after glitter from a Christmas card got lodged in her eyeball.
A case study from the British Medical Journal revealed that a lesion on the woman’s cornea was due to glitter, the Press Association reports.
The woman recalled getting glitter into her eye when it came off a Christmas card.
The 49-year-old woman complained of pain in her reddened eye, and later sustained a swollen eyelid and experienced vision loss.
Doctors from a Swansea hospital initially diagnosed the patient with herpes simplex infection after spotting a lesion on her cornea. However, a powerful microscope showed that there was something shiny.
What turned out to be glitter had formed a clump with a lesion that had similar symptoms to herpes.
The report warned of avoiding a misdiagnosis even when symptoms pointed to a common infection.It indicated that treatment would have been different for both cases.
Had it been diagnosed as a herpes infection, “treatment would have been topical antiviral ointment instead of removal and antibiotics.” Niña V. Guno /ra