Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) – or diseases of the heart and blood vessels – are one of the most prevalent diseases in the Philippines. According to the Philippine Statistics Office (PSA), CVDs are part of the larger group of non-communicable diseases (NCDs), which collectively account for 72% of deaths in the country in 2021. Studies have shown that the lack of myocardial CoQ10 enzyme could increase the risk of developing heart-related diseases.
The primary function of CoQ10 has a critical consequence for energy metabolism since better, more efficient electron transport in the inner membrane at the mitochondria leads to more abundant production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). This is a highly relevant factor, for instance, for the cardiac muscle and the correct functioning of the heart. CoQ10 has been shown to help reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) such as heart failure (HF) and myocardial infarction directly, as well as to play a crucial antioxidant role which can help fight the adverse effects of free radicals on our bodies brought about by our daily exposure to stress, unhealthy diet, and pollution.
Understanding COQ10 enzyme
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a fat-soluble antioxidant and nutrient stored in our organs deep within our cells. The level of CoQ10 is highest in organs with high metabolism rates (ie. require a lot of energy to work), such as the heart, kidney, and liver. CoQ10 helps ensure that our organs function well and that our bodies can perform metabolic processes. Existing studies have suggested how CoQ10 can help in various health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems like cancer and migraines. The body’s ability to produce CoQ10 declines with age, and we need to rely more on external sources like food and supplements to replenish CoQ10 in our bodies.
Clinical researches suggest that taking CoQ10 in supplement form may improve cardiovascular symptoms and reduce the risk of high blood pressure and persistent chest pain. CoQ10 may possibly prevent cholesterol conversion into plaque, which occurs when bad cholesterol reacts with free radicals. CoQ10, in this regard, may slow down plaque buildup in the body’s major blood vessels.
10 Benefits of CoQ10 for your heart
Take a look at some of the ten benefits of taking CoQ10 daily.
1. It promotes heart health: In a study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Heart Failure, researchers studied 420 chronic heart failure patients. The subjects were administered either 100 milligrams of CoQ10 thrice daily or placebos, alongside standard treatment, over two years. At the end of the study, it was discovered that CoQ10 supplementation helped improve the patient’s symptoms and reduce their risk of succumbing to the disease.
2. It may slow the progression of Cardiovascular Diseases (CVD) : One of the vital organs CoQ10 protects is your heart, which is responsible for pumping oxygen-rich blood throughout all body parts 24/7. Because of this, your heart’s energy needs are among the highest compared to other organs. It is particularly susceptible to oxidative stress, a phenomenon characterized by an imbalance between highly-reactive free radicals and antioxidants. If oxidative stress persists, it may lead to the onset or progression of chronic heart diseases. Replenishing CoQ10 reserves in your body can help combat free radicals to reduce damage inflicted on your healthy cells and organs.
3. It can lower elevated blood pressure: Several studies have shown that CoQ10 can reduce high blood pressure, especially systolic blood pressure—but it can take four to 12 weeks or daily supplementation to see a measurable difference. When CoQ10 is combined with the extract of Hawthorn Berries and Vitamin E, it can help protect your heart against the effects of stress, pollution, and an unhealthy diet. Hawthorn berry is one of those ingredients from nature that are often associated with lowering blood pressure.
4. It can temper abnormal heart palpitations: Heart palpitations are one of the top conditions that bring people to visit their doctors. CoQ10 can temper palpitations by helping to stabilize the membranes of the electrical conduction system in the body—making it difficult for palpitation to start in the first place.
5. It may help patients with congestive heart failure: The primary cause of congestive heart failure is tired, weak muscles in the heart—so restoring the heart’s energy supply is critical. By sparking energy production, CoQ10 may help address congestive heart failure by helping to fuel the heart. Clinical studies have shown that after taking CoQ10 for six months, the condition of 87% of heart failure patients improved significantly.
6. It can help increase your physical endurance. Clinical studies have shown that CoQ10 is important for energy production in the human body and can help improve exercise tolerance, hasten recovery from fatigue and prevent exercise damage. In patients with heart failure, the administration of Coq10 resulted in lower mortality and improved exercise capacity compared with the effects of placebo treatment.
7. It may help reduce statin-associated muscle symptoms (SAMS). Statin medications may reduce COQ10 levels occurring in the body, especially in muscle tissue. Taken regularly, CoQ10 doses of up to 300 mg per day may be beneficial for those taking statins to alleviate against muscle pains, weakness, cramps, tiredness that may be associated with regular statin medication.
8. It may help improve your sleep: In patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, researchers found that Ubiquinol supplementation helped to initiate and maintain sleep, improved sleep quality, and reduced feelings of fatigue in 60 healthy adults with high stress.
9. CoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant and has been clinically proven to play a vital role in the body’s immune system. CoQ10 is required for the optimal function of the immune system, as well as to help the body respond to inflammation and diseases.
10. It may help boost the health of cancer patients: Several small clinical studies found that CoQ10 supplements may have potential benefits in different cancer types such as breast cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, melanoma, and liver cancer by either reducing the levels of inflammatory cytokine markers in the blood, improving quality of life, reducing treatment side-effects such as cardiotoxicity, reducing recurrence or improving survival.
CoQ10 supplements present potential benefits when taken daily. In the Philippines, Vivaro Health Sciences markets a wide range of CoQ10 supplements under the Brand name, BIA, that can help you address your various health conditions. Find out more by visiting www.vivaro.com.ph.
BIA’s range of products is available at selected Mercury Drug outlets in Metro Manila, on the vivaro.com.ph website, and on Shopee & Lazada.
Consult your doctor to understand your cardiovascular condition better so they can prescribe the proper medication and supplements, if necessary. CoQ10 supplements are not medicines and are not meant to be used to address medical diseases. Remember to maintain a proper diet and healthy lifestyle and always exercise regularly. Take CoQ10 supplements daily, along with other vitamins and minerals recommended by your doctor, to help ensure maximum protection.