Ask your grandmother what her beauty secrets are, and most likely you’d get a list of ingredients available on your next trip to the supermarket. Indeed, there is nothing more powerful than nature, which is why natural has become the latest beauty trend.
While we can’t deny that technology has made great advancements, especially in world of skincare, finding a balance between nature and progress should lead to better, more effective products.
A recent media trip to Bali, Indonesia, for Pond’s newest skincare whitening line, gave me hope yet that beauty company are making serious efforts to return to nature in their research. At the Nusa Dua Beach Hotel and Spa, I learned about the rare Camellia leaf, a plant that has been known to grow at the foothills of the Himalayas. It was exciting to learn that Pond’s had made an accidental discovery: that the Camellia leaf has powerful whitening properties that reduce the formation of melanin within the skin.
This is good news for those who want whiter skin, because our skin’s production of melanin has been the known cause of skin darkening. With a breakthrough like this and many years of testing behind it, Pond’s has tried to struck a balance between nature and science, and is the first brand to use the Camellia leaf as its active ingredient.
Along with Camellia leaf extract, Pond’s new White Beauty Naturals line has been formulated with Niacinamide (B3) to prevent skin darkening and fight free radicals to improve the overall look of skin, as it reduces the appearance of spots and acne marks.
In line with finding more natural ways to beauty, I asked the experts what they do to look and stay fresh and youthful.
Zo Aguila, Cosmopolitan magazine editor in chief
What are your top three stress-busters?
1.) Pamper myself with relaxing rituals or an agenda-less day.
2.) Enrich my soul via trips in and out of the country, and inspiring reads.
3.) Surround myself with like-minded people who get and love me, quirks and all.
Jacqe Yuengtian, Pond’s brand manager
What’s the best beauty advice you’ve received?
I’ve always been a meat lover, and I don’t like eating veggies at all. But recently, I’ve been convinced to eat more vegetables. I was so surprised it has such good and immediate benefits—I’ve lost weight, I feel more active, I rarely get breakouts and my skin is much more luminous now. It just proves to me that the power of nature is really something else. You can never go wrong with the way Mother Nature cares for us.
Tessa Prieto-Valdes, Philippine Daily Inquirer
What are your skincare secrets?
1. Cleansing, toning and moisturizing are the keys to beautiful skin at any age. They need to be done twice a day so skin can mature perfectly.
2. Use night creams that are designed to help the skin get back moisture lost during the day due to pollution, stress, etc.
3. I use eye creams to reduce lines in the face’s most sensitive area.
Kristel Dacumos, Lifestyle Asia assistant editor
What beauty products do you always bring when you travel?
I always bring The Body Shop cherry lip gloss, Maybelline mascara, facial cleansing mousse, hand sanitizer and L’Occitane hand lotion for long trips.
Pauline Suaco-Juan, Preview magazine editor in chief
What are your top beauty essentials?
1. Eight hours of sleep. You can definitely tell if I’ve had less.
2. Lots of water. I’ve learned that hydration starts from within.
3. Juice. I drink a glass of green juice every morning (celery, ampalaya, cucumber, green pepper and green apple). It’s the best way to get vitamins and antioxidants in my system.
4. I recently colored my hair lighter (not just highlights) and am surprised at the number of people (including my father-in-law) who say it has made me look younger.
5. A manicure and pedicure from Nail Spa. It’s an integral part of dressing up. I don’t feel complete without one.
Got a beauty question? E-mail the author at [email protected]