Recipes for steaks are a dime a dozen. But look closely before breezing by this one—it’s got features and flavors worth checking out.
First, this recipe uses flank steak, a boneless cut of beef that’s long, thin and fibrous. It’s usually tenderized by marinating, then broiled and cut across the grain. They’re juicy and flavorful especially when cured with fresh lime juice, olive oil, garlic, hot chili paste, ginger and honey.
Second, the seasoned steak is pan-seared and roasted to perfection.
Finally, the steak is spiced with chili paste and laced with zesty watermelon dressing.
This Pan-Roasted Steak with Spicy Watermelon Salad as demonstrated by chef Mitchie Sison is worth trying especially if you want to impress your family and friends but would like to spend less time in the kitchen.
Even if you’re not a steak fan, a good steak meal can transcend almost any aversion to it. While the ingredients just go together naturally, the key to good steak is that it should be juicy, tender, lean and loaded with flavor.
“This recipe offers refreshing flavor that dominates the entire dish,” says Sison. “We add lime juice and watermelon to the dressing to keep the steak more interesting after each bite.”
The steak should be nicely browned on the pan. Aside from watermelon, you can mix cantaloupe or cucumber in the salad.
“You can also substitute rice vinegar with balsamic vinegar or cane vinegar,” adds Sison, who has her own line of Sunnex cookware (Mitchie Chef’s Classics collection). “You can either work on with lime or lemon juice for the dressing. Orange zests will also do the trick.”
Pan-Roasted Steak with Spicy Watermelon Salad
1½ tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp hot chili paste
½ tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
½ tsp honey
1½-pound or 250 g flank steak
Pepper and watermelon salad
¼ c hot chili sauce
¼ c grape seed oil or olive oil
3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1¼ tsp honey
4 large bell peppers, preferably assorted colors, cut into ½-inch squares
2 tbsp minced red jalapeño chilies or finger chilies
1. FOR STEAK: Whisk all ingredients except flank steak in baking dish. Add steak; turn to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 2 hours, turning occasionally. Chill at least 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
2. PREPARE stainless-steel fry pan with a bit of oil. Pan-sear steak with some marinade still clinging until cooked to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for rare.
3. TRANSFER to oven and roast for 10-15 minutes at 350ºF. Thinly slice steak against grain and transfer to platter. Set aside.
4. FOR the salad: Whisk hot chili sauce, oil, vinegar and honey in small bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
5. ADD peppers and chilies in the bowl. Add lime juice. Add remaining ingredients except watermelon. Let it sit for 2 hours at room temperature.
6. CUT watermelon into cubes and toss into pepper salad.
7. CAREFULLY mix pepper and watermelon dressing.
8. PLACE watermelon dressing on top of the steak. Garnish with cilantro or basil leaves.