The question of whether Jesus Christ also had previous lives on earth has always intrigued me. If it is true, as the Christian Church teaches, that Jesus was truly God and truly human, and if the belief or theory of reincarnation is true, then he must have had previous incarnations, too.
The only source of information about the possible previous lives of Jesus Christ can be found in the so-called “psychic readings” of the American psychic and prophet Edgar Cayce.
Cayce was a Sunday school teacher who discovered his ability to tap into his subconscious mind and the Akashic record while in a self-induced trance.
While awake, he knew very little about the Bible and other intellectual, historical and metaphysical things. He finished only seventh grade of formal schooling. But while in a trance, he could discourse about almost any subject under the sun.
All such trance messages were carefully recorded. Most of them contained information about medical diagnosis and treatment of various illnesses.
When he died in 1945, he left some 14,250 psychic readings or messages, which were answers to questions posed to him by people who came to consult him. About 2,500 of these reading were nonmedical topics.
Although the concept of reincarnation or multiple rebirth is rejected by the Christian religion, it is accepted by two-thirds of the world’s population and by the major religions of Buddhism and Hinduism. It is not the intention of this article to argue whether reincarnation is true or not.
Ultimately, it depends on each individual to believe it or not. I merely want to share with interested readers what Edgar Cayce said about the past lives of Jesus Christ, which they are free to accept or reject.
According to Cayce, the man, Jesus, underwent several incarnations or past lives before he became the Christ. He was formerly Adam, Enoch, Melchizedek, Joseph, Joshua, Asaph, Jeshua, and Zend. There were several other names Edgar Cayce mentioned, but let’s just limit our discussion to the above eight personalities.
1) Adam, of course, everybody knows as the first man created by God as mentioned in bible’s Book of Genesis, who lives in the Garden of Eden along with the first woman, Eve. They were banished from Eden, according to the bible, when they disobeyed God and ate the “forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.”
2) Enoch is found in the Apocryphal Book of Enoch. He is briefly mentioned in Genesis (5:15-24).
“The Book of Enoch describes the fall of the Watchers into materiality and Enoch’s heavenly sojourns, as well as his transfiguration into the angel Metatron.” The Book of Enoch is considered by some as a sacred book.
3) Melchizedek was a priest-prophet during the time of Abraham. He is also mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls (which was discovered in 1947 at the Qumran Cave near the Dead Sea), and the Nag Hammadi Codex texts found in Upper Egypt in 1945, along with other Gnostic gospels.
4) Joseph, son of Jacob, became the priest of Egypt. There are many parallels between the life of Joseph and that of Jesus.
5) Joshua led the Israelites into the Promised Land. One of Joshua’s roles was as a scribe of Moses.
6) Asaph—The Cayce readings give little information about Asaph, except that he was the music director and seer who served under David and Solomon.
7) Jeshua (or Joshua) was the high priest who helped organize the Israelites’ return from exile and the rebuilding of the temple (as recounted in the books of Ezra and Nehemiah). Edgar Cayce claimed that it was Joshua who compiled and translated the book of the Bible.
8) Zend was the father of Zoroaster, the founder of the Zoroastrian religion.
Jesus was the man who attained complete human-divine unity and therefore became “The Christ.” Note that Jesus is the Latinization of the Aramaic “Jeshua” or “Yeshua.”
The theory or belief in reincarnation cannot be proven scientifically. But neither can it be disproven.
As Edgar Cayce said, “One can read reincarnation in the Bible, and another can read it out again.”
For comments or information on seminars, books, consultancy, past-life hypnotic regression, call 8107245 or 0998-9886292; e-mail [email protected] Please check our online workshops at www.innermindlearning.com