It really pays to be informed. While we cannot pretend to know it all, having an inquisitive and open mind allows us to be better equipped to make decisions about our own bodies’ health and disposition of mind.
Nature offers a powerhouse of nutrients. And if we turn to what is natural, there isn’t any reason why we cannot live longer and look better.
Q: How can I prevent and/or erase wrinkles?
The skin is often referred to as your first defense. And because it is in the line of fire, it acts like a shock absorber. But after all the wear and tear, all the pulling and rubbing, the laughter and the crying, plus exposure to the elements as well as stress, the skin begins to show signs of having undergone several battles.
If only we could get brand-new skin! Most dermatologists agree on one thing: the best skin-saving advice is to stay away from the sun. Sun exposure damages the skin. So here are some skin-saving tips:
1) Get out of the sun whenever possible.
2) Drink loads of water. Challenge yourself to 12-15 glasses daily. Some people complain that they feel like choking after drinking so much water. It’s all in the mind. Sip it slowly.
3) Increase vitamin C intake from 1,000-3,000 daily. Vitamin C is essential to collagen formation. Drink up on citrus fruit juices—oranges, limes, lemons.
4) Minimize alcohol. Too much alcohol dehydrates you.
5) Apply vitamin E oil directly on the skin, especially after sun exposure. Yes, you can puncture the Vitamin E capsule and use the oil sparingly.
Q: Please help me lose weight the natural way. All the diets I have tried have failed me.
If diets have uniformly failed you, look for the common denominator. Perhaps, they’ve been too drastic and unreal, or you didn’t take them seriously.
Here’s my own story. Through the years I have discovered that if I want to lose a few pounds, there are a few rules I need to follow:
1. Midnight snacking is a no-no. If you’re truly hungry, eat a low-calorie food like apples, kiwi, singkamas (sweet turnips). But never anything sweet like cakes and pastries, chocolates, ice cream. These are best eaten during the day and only after meals. In short, do not make any dessert your main meal or snack.
2. Go vegetarian if you need to lose weight in 30 days. It works. And if you want to speed it up, go on a raw food diet. That’s right. Nothing cooked.
3. Exercise daily, at least 30-45 minutes of any cardiovascular exercise regimen.
4. Take chromium picolenate, a supplemental form of chromium, a mineral which helps increase lean tissue and reduce fat. But this is only effective if you exercise.
A daily dose of 50-200 micrograms should be enough. Natural sources are black pepper, cheese, whole-grain cereals and brewer’s yeast. So, this is good news for cheese lovers. With one precaution—try not to finish the whole cheese platter!
5. Take zinc, 15-30 mg daily. This is recommended for people on low-calorie diets. This also addresses hair loss, brittle nails and bleeding gums. Best taken with copper. Remember: 1 mg of copper for every 10 mg of zinc. Natural sources are seafood, nuts.
6. Magnesium supplements improve the efficiency of the heart. Take 400 mg daily, but best to consult your doctor first. Natural sources are seafood, green vegetables, low-fat dairy products.
7. The most common ailment of dieters is borderline anemia due to iron deficiency. Symptoms include heart palpitations, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath. To get iron from natural sources, go for tofu, soybeans, bitter gourd (ampalaya), moringa olifera (malunggay).
8. Load up on calcium, at least 1,500 mg daily (especially if you have menopaused). Natural sources are dairy, green leafy vegetables, nuts.
Q: Can you suggest any anti-fat liver regimen?
The good news is that it’s never too late. At the Harvard School of Public Health, men who consumed 100 international units of vitamin E daily for two years showed a reduced risk of heart disease by an impressive 37 percent. In a similar study on 87,000 nurses, the results were the same.
Betacarotene, the nutrient that gives carrots their orange color, is considered by many health experts a champion in fighting heart disease and boosting the immune system. So eat lots of carrots.
Another way is to remove the fats from your diet. Say no to fried food.
Take this liver tonic:
3 sugar beets
Juice and drink up.
Don’t panic if your trip to the toilet leaves a radish color after you’re through. That’s not blood, it’s the sugar beets.
Affirm Today: “I am happy & healthy!”
Love and Light!
Healing with Vitamins