Best food gifts this ChristmasBy Sandy Daza |Philippine Daily Inquirer
From ‘lechon’ to ‘sansrival,’ here’s my delicious list of gift ideas
December will always be a month of activities. For me it starts off with my son Turo’s birthday on the first day. Next day, my mom Nora celebrates hers. Last week, she celebrated her birthday with family and close friends at a small gathering with fine food and laughter.
One of the highlights of the evening was when a dear friend of the family, Cocoy Laurel, sang a few songs. “Some Enchanted Evening,” from the Broadway musical “South Pacific,” was the first song. Amazing! Such a great performer and singer. Plus, oozing with talent, kindness and humility. You have to see him. Galing!
I like suggesting on what food and related items to give. A lot of people are scrambling for different gift ideas. Here goes my list of Christmas gift suggestions for 2011:
1. San Marcos Creme Brulee Cake—Perfectly sweet; it is light with a beautiful texture. I am reminded of Pringles. You can’t have just one slice. Try it. Comes highly recommended! Tel. 0916-7457729
2. Rico’s Cebu Lechon—One of the best in the Visayas. Order and pick it up at the airport for a reasonable fee. Still crunchy when it gets to your table. It is also a lot cheaper than Manila lechon. Tel. 0917-4072033
3. Lemon Torte—Under the white frosting lies a killer cake. Tel. 7462773
4. Kris Chicken Empanada and moist buns stuffed with ham and cheese—Super sarap! Tel. 0927-2341990 and 9207282
5. Huge Ensaymadas—Stay away if you’re on a diet. You’ll finish one whole in a sitting. Tel. 0920-9478819
6. Chef Jyns Mediterranean Chicken—Comes with all the fixings. Sarap! Tel. 0917-5280563
7. Red wine aerator—Amazing how much better the wine tastes in an instant. Tel. 3734705, 3746650
8. Stevie’s Hainanese Chicken Rice—One of the best on our shores. Beautiful packaging! Tel. 0906-5084155, 8968940
9. Czar’s Old Fashioned Apple Pie—Super sarap! With a slice of Queso De Bola? Patay! Winner of Great American Food Fest. Tel. 0917-5411167
10. Chef Jill Sandique’s Old-Fashioned Cashew, Macadamia and Pistachio Sansrival—You want it crispy? Keep it in the freezer. Chewy? Keep it in the fridge. But I doubt it will reach that far when you take the first bite. Tel. 0922-8262673, 4978811, 7217022
11. Amaretto Cake, Pineapple Upside-down Cake and Prune Cake—Chef Tani’s creations! All highly recommended. Tel. 0917-5320816, 5346359, 5322495
12. Chef Penk Ching—Creator of the Olympics Birds Nest cake in the Beijing Olympics. If those credentials are not enough, I don’t know what is. Cake loaves filled with carrot walnut; banana walnut; poppy seed. Tel. 0917-8122676
13. La Tasca Bibingka—Never tried anything better. You want to impress a balikbayan or foreigner with a Pinoy dessert? Serve this! Tel. 8979749, 8965543
14. Gustare Turtle Pie, Mango Pavlova and Black Samurai—For those trying to gain weight, these will make it a lot easier. Tel. 4030345
15. Queso De Bola Cheese Cake from Kru Kitchen—Tel. 8284474, 0920-9278188
16. Double Fudge and Cheese Cake from Divine Desserts—Tel. 9139875, 4393069
17 General’s Lechon—Negros Occidental version, the best in Luzon. They deliver. Tel. 0917-8975966
18. Frozen Food For The Gods—Flors Golden; also comes in Chocolate. Kakaiba! Tel. 0917-8471777, 8422450, 8472386
19. Mango Sansrival and Almond Roca Candies from Kitchen’s Best—Tel. 0917-8966248
20. Gateau Crepe and Queso De Bola Cheese Cake from Mara de la Rama—Tel. 0917-8116272
21. Valrhona Crunch Cake from Dolcelatte—Outstanding! Tel. 4250313 loc. 109
22. With all these acid-causing food, you will need what to me is the best investment for your health. Remember, 75 percent of our body is water. Almost all sicknesses are caused by acid mostly from food. Neutralize acid in the body by Kangen Water Machine from Japan. Health issues addressed: diabetes, acid reflux, gout, hypertension, cholesterol, etc. Most expensive on my list, but most important. Tel. 0908-2492114
Check them out!
Visit sandydaza.blogspot.com. Follow on Twitter @sandydaza.